With over two million businesses operating in Australia, it is no doubt that the country is filled with multiple job opportunities. However, gaining employment is much easier as a local citizen since you would be familiar with the legal system and not have to go through extra procedures to apply for a job. That said, there are multiple temporary work visas that you can apply for if you are interested in working for an Australian employer.

As the term implies, temporary work visas allow you to live in Australia to work for a specified time. Some visas, such as the Temporary Skills Shortage TSS Visa, will require you to work with a certain employer, while others give you more flexibility. Get to know more about your options with some of the common temporary work visas listed below.


Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)

If you have had at least two years of studies in Australia, you will be eligible to apply for a Temporary Graduate Visa, which comes in two streams. The first is graduate work, which allows you to select an occupation from Australia’s Skilled Occupation List (SOL), provided that you have the qualifications for such position. The duration of this stream is usually up to 18 months. 

The second stream is post-study work, which allows you to pursue higher education after obtaining your bachelor’s degree. Due to its nature, it provides a longer duration, typically two to four years, depending on your credentials. You will also be allowed to work during the validity period of your visa. 

Read More:   A Comprehensive Guide to Florida Teaching Requirements

Temporary Skills Shortage Visa (Subclass 482)

A Temporary Skills Shortage TSS Visa permits you to live in Australia while working for a local business that nominated you for a specific position. It can grant up to four years of eligibility and requires that a legal Australian business first apply to be a standard business sponsor. This type of visa is applicable for cases when the employer may not be able to find the required talent and skill within the Australian labourers, thus requiring them to look for overseas candidates.

If you want to apply for this type of visa, you will need to have a business sponsor nominate you for the position. Likewise, you will need to meet health and English language requirements, as well as possess the competitive skills required to fill the position.

Skilled-Recognised Graduate Visa (Subclass 476)

If you are an engineering student who obtained a bachelor’s degree or a higher achievement, you can apply for this type of temporary visa. It allows you to get work experience in a related field for up to 18 months, during which you are permitted to travel, work, and study. 

Skilled Regional Visa (Subclass 489)

The Skilled Regional Visa is applicable for skilled workers who are nominated by a state or a relative living in a certain part of Australia. It grants you a stay of up to four years, during which you can study and work in the region specified in your visa. You will also be allowed to travel to and from the country throughout the duration of the visa. 

If a relative nominates you, you will need to live in Australia for two years and work for 12 months to become eligible for a Subclass 887 visa, which grants you permanent legal residence. 

Read More:   Top Reasons to Pursue PG in Fashion Designing 

Author Bio:

Lora Ray is a farmer of words in the field of creativity. She is an experienced independent content writer with a demonstrated history of working in the writing and editing industry.  She is a multi-niche content chef who loves cooking new things.